Monday, February 15, 2010

No. 46 - Wasabi

We had family visit from out-of-town this weekend. On Saturday evening we enjoyed sushi together. I often wonder aloud (yes, there are people in the room when I wonder aloud) why it took me almost four decades to learn that I love sushi. It's not like I didn't like it before, but it was never on my "food cravings" list. Over the last year, it's moved right up near the top. We had rainbow roll, wasabi roll and avocado summer roll. While we were talking and eating, I was asked if I knew what wasabi was made out of. I guessed that it was a root.
I learned today that it is, indeed, the thick green root of the wasabi plant that is used as a spice. The flavor is more akin to horseradish than chili pepper. It produces vapors that stimulate the nasal passage more so than the tongue. The sensation can be quite painful but is short-lived, lasting only a few seconds.

Wasabi is often prepared by grating the root with a sharkskin grater, although a stainless steel grater may work just fine if you've misplaced your sharkskin one.

It is claimed that wasabi is an effective antidote to prevent food poisoning, which is one reason why wasabi is served with sushi and other raw fish.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't know Wasabi helped with food poison! Makes sense though when you think about it. We enjoyed the weekend as well. I enjoyed the sushi!

    ReplyDelete