Sunday, November 28, 2010

No. 332 - Meka

In my RSS Feed Reader today my attention was drawn to an article titled "New House: $39,900". I figured it must be located in Detroit.

Instead, I was surprised to learn that it was a new type of luxury modular home made out of a shipping container. The article said that the company, Meka, was formed a year ago and is based in Toronto.

The company's website says that Meka is an acronym for modular, environmental, kinetic, assembly. It also says:
Meka was created by two old friends, one a designer, the other a developer, looking to create well designed, alternative dwellings that could be made and sold at affordable prices.

The result was to produce the most luxurious living spaces with a clean modern sensibility, at super affordable prices. These products will surpass expectations. Don’t be a skeptic, be a cynic, and then believe it. Ethos is everything. Ego is nothing.
There are four models ranging from $39,000 for 320 square feet (one shipping container) up to $128,000 for 1,280 square feet (four shipping containers).

1 comment:

  1. I saw something like this go up a few miles from my house! It's in the middle of a 10 acre lot so I wasn't sure what it was at first but upon closer inspection I discovered it is indeed a house -- a tiny, tiny one. Interesting to learn more about it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete