Thursday, November 11, 2010

No. 315 - Giant South African Earthworm

A friend sent me an e-mail this morning which said: Apparently, there is a type of earthworm in South Africa called  Microchaetus rappi that can grow to be 7 meters long.  That's a big worm.

The title of the e-mail was "I learned something new today." And now I too learned something new today.

The Microchaetus rappi is more commonly known as the Giant South African Earthworm and can grow to over 20 feet long. In 1967 a world record-setting specimen 22 feet long was found beside a road in William’s Town, South Africa. The worms normally grow to about six feet.

This is not my first worm post. I recall the red wigglers back in Post No. 145. Nor is this my first unusual animal post. I recall the Okapi back in Post No. 213.

No comments:

Post a Comment