Monday, November 15, 2010

No. 319 - Locavore

I read a post today on Facebook from NaturalNews.com that said: How fortunate are these locavores? What a fantastic display of beautiful, healthy and nourishing fruits and vegetables. Support your local farmer!

Attached to the post was a video but it didn't play on my iPad because Apple doesn't support flash video, which still baffles me. But that didn't deter me from learning.

I Googled "locavore" and discovered that it was the word of the year for 2007 in the Oxford American Dictionary. It refers to the practice of relying on fresh, locally grown food items uncontaminated by preservatives.

I also found a documentary called Locavore. On its website it said that "less than a generation ago human beings worldwide traveled less than 10 miles to obtain the majority of the food they ate. Today the average conventionally grown vegetable has traveled more than 1500 miles by the time it has reached your pantry. Our food today is over processed, stale, and lacks nutrition."

No comments:

Post a Comment