Saturday, November 20, 2010

No. 324 - Berea College

I was at another local reading series event today. I will not mentioned the author or the book because I do not wish to promote it or her, to my whole three or four readers :)

And I will share with you why.

The book had nothing to with politics, although it was associated with race relations. An audience member asked a question about race relations in Kentucky and in answering the question the author stated that Kentucky Senator-Elect Rand Paul is overtly racist.

At first I couldn't believe what I heard. I have listened to hours of Rand Paul interviews and researched much his supposedly controversial positions and know that he is certainly not racist. However, I also watched as the mainstream media tried to lie and smear him in hopes of keeping a pro-liberty, pro-constitutional, anti-Federal Reserve candidate out of office. In the end, it backfired on them and the voters of Kentucky elected the doctor as their representative in Congress. It amazes me how little people think for themselves these days, or do any research on their own, and allow mainstream media to mold and shape their view of the world.

Anyway, I learned about Berea College in Berea, Kentucky (south of Lexington). When it was founded in 1855 by abolitionist John Gregg Fee, it admitted both black and white students in a fully integrated curriculum, making it the first non-segregated, coeducational college in the South and one of a handful of institutions of higher learning to admit both male and female students in the mid-19th century.

Berea College charges no tuition; every admitted student is provided the equivalent of a four-year, full-tuition scholarship. Current full-time enrollment is about 1,500 students. Berea's primary service region is Southern Appalchia, but students come from all states in the U.S. and more than 60 other countries. Approximately one in three students represents an ethnic minority.

No comments:

Post a Comment