Wednesday, November 24, 2010

No. 328 - Omega 3s

I received an e-mail today from NaturalNews.com with the subject header: How to prevent and reverse gum disease naturally. It caught my attention because I have gum disease.

The first sentence of the article read: Periodontitis is an extremely common, and often painful, inflammatory disease of the gums. The fact that it is extremely common does not comfort me. The fact that mine is not painful comforts me.

The third sentence of the article read: Mainstream medicine typically treats the chronic disease with strong antibiotics, vigorous mechanical scraping of the teeth and even surgically cutting away diseased gum tissue. I've had two (yes, two) surgeries in which the gums of my entire mouth were cut, cleaned and then sewed back together. After the latest surgery a few years ago the doctor said that I might need a third surgery, at which point I told him no thank you, as it didn't appear to me that the recommended treatment was having the desired effect.

The next sentence in the article said that a new study just published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association shows there's a natural way to not only prevent but also treat periodontitis -- by consuming omega-3 fatty acids found in cold water fish like salmon and certain nuts.

In addition to salmon, some of the top foods that are rich in Omega 3s are flaxseeds, walnuts, halibut, cod, cauliflower, cabbage, and brussels sprouts.

Fish and vegetables sound like a much better treatment to me, than yet another surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment