Thursday, December 30, 2010

No. 364 - Peameal Bacon

We are visiting friends and this morning one of them was running out to get some bagels. I asked if he could pick me up a large coffee. He said he doesn't drink coffee but most people order a "double-double." I asked what that was and he said it was two cream and two sugar. That sounded mighty fine to me. He said he was going to make eggs when he got home and that he was going to get some Peameal Bacon. I thought maybe he was talking about Canadian Bacon.

I learned that Peameal Bacon is similar to Canadian Bacon. It is cured but not smoked. Canadian Bacon is basically smoked ham. Peameal Bacon is made from pork loins. They are trimmed of all the fat and the bones are removed. The term peameal comes from the ground yellow peas with which the bacon was originally coated. This ensured better curing and shelf life and avoided bacterial problems. Over the years this tradition was changed to cornmeal, due to the availability of corn.

It was some of the most delicious bacon I have ever eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment