Friday, December 3, 2010

No. 337 - The Nutcracker

My wife and daughter went to see The Nutcracker this evening while my son and me went into town to see the annual Christmas parade. The parade ended with the man himself, Santa Claus, riding on a huge wagon and sitting on a gigantic chair. We couldn't tell if it was the real Santa or one of his helpers. I guessed it was the real Santa because his boots looked real, not like some of the fake ones his helpers sometimes wear.

I have never seen The Nutcracker so my wife suggested it might be something for me to learn about today.

I learned that The Nutcracker ballet is based on the story The Nutcracker and the King of Mice written by E.T.A. Hoffman. Apparently what is seen on the stage today is different in detail from the original story, but the basic plot remains the same. It is the story of a young German girl who dreams of a Nutcracker Prince and a fierce battle against a Mouse King with seven heads.

If I had known that there was a mouse with seven seven heads in it, I would have gone to see it long ago. That would be worth the admission price alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment