Sunday, December 26, 2010

No. 360 - DSi

It was getting late in the day and I turned to my wife and said I needed to learn something new today. My son immediately responded by asking me to learn about the DSi, his favorite Christmas present. My wife asked what "DSi" stood for. I thought the "i" stood for "internet," which this version of the hand-held game console can connect to.

I did not know that DS stood for "dual screen," which seems obvious now that I know since it has two screens. It also stands for "Developers' System," in reference to developers of new game designs the system was meant to inspire.

The lower-case "i" in "DSi" supposedly symbolizes both an individual person ("I") and the hand-held's cameras ("eyes"). The first camera is placed on the internal hinge, and points toward the user. The second is on the outer casing, and faces away from the user.

No comments:

Post a Comment